1 cup couscous
1/4 tsp salt
4 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup boiling vegetable stock or water
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 tsp coriander seeds
1/4 tsp fennel seeds
Pinch of cayenne pepper or to taste
1 medium red onion chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 large red bell pepper diced
1 cup tender young green beans
1 cup sliced green zucchini or other summer squash
1 large tomato, diced
2/3 cup vegetable stock
2 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
2 Tbsp dried currants
2 Tbsp coarsely chopped pistachios
- Mix together the couscous and 1/4 tsp salt in a bowl.
Drizzle in 1 tsp of the oil, and stir until all the grains of couscous is
- Pour the boiling stock over the couscous cover the
bowl and set it aside for about 10 minutes.
- Grind together the cumin, turmeric, coriander,
fennel, and cayenne in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle.
- In a large pan pour and heat the remaining oil Add
the onion and fry for 2 to 3 minutes until soft.
- Stir in the garlic and continue frying for 1 minute
gradually add the bell pepper, beans, and zucchini and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the spice mixture and cook for about 1 minute
longer. Stirring constantly Stir in the tomato and stock, bring the liquid
just to a simmer cover the pan and cook for 5 to 10 minutes until the
vegetables are just tender.
- Add salt to taste, fluff the couscous and place it on
a large serving plate, serve the vegetables on top, garnished with the
currants and pistachios.