Iraqi Date and Walnut Cake
Spicy cake made with brewed tea, dried dates and topped with crushed walnuts
1/2 Cups Dried Dates
1 1/2 Cups Brewed Tea
1/2 Cup Oil
1 1/2 Cups Granulated Sugar
1 1/2 Tsps Vanilla
2 1/2 Cups Allpurpose Flour
2 Tsps Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Cinnamon
1/4 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
1/4 Tsp Ground Cloves
1 Cup Crushed Walnuts (for the bottom of the pan)
- Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Place dates and tea in a small pot, bring to a boil then simmer for 2-3 minutes to soften.
- Drain the dates and reserve the liquid.
- In a mixing bowl add the oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla then beat for 2 minutes.
- Sift in flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves then mix well.
- In two batches add in the tea liquid mixing well then mix in the dates.
- Grease and flour an 8 inch capacity round cake pan and then shake off excess flour.
- Place crushed walnut at the bottom of the pan then pour the mixture over of the walnuts.
- Bake cake for about 40 minutes or until the surface feels firm to the touch.
- Let stand for 10 minutes then invert onto a cake plate and serve.