5 cups 2% milk (use skim milk for a low-fat version)
1/3 cup plus one teaspoon white sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp ground rice, uncooked (you can grind some in your blender)
1 tsp almond extract
½ cup ground almonds
Ground almonds or peanuts to garnish (optional)
- Blanching the almonds: Soak the almonds in a small
bowl with just enough hot water to cover for 30 seconds. Strain and set
- Preparing the pudding: Mix the milk, sugar, and salt
together in a medium pot.Set burner on medium-low and bring to a gentle
boil. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- Making the thickening agent: Mix the cornstarch and
rice with 4 tbsp of warm water. The mixture should be smooth and without clamps.
- Whisk the starch mixture into the pot and continue
mixing until the mixture thickens.
- Lower the heat and cook for an additional 30 minutes,
- Add the almonds and cook for an additional 15
- Finishing up: Remove from the heat and add the almond
extract. Pure into a bowl, cover and chill for an hour or so before serving. Garnish with ground almonds or
peanuts before serving, if desired.