20 – 30 Fresh Leaves
300g ground beef
2 Cups of Rice
1/2 Cup Lemon Juice
6 Cups of Water
1/2 Cup Olive Oil
1/2 Teasp Allspice
1/2 Teasp Salt
1/4 Teasp Black Pepper
- If using fresh leaves, blanch them by placing them in
boiling water for 1 minutes. Rinse in cool water and trim away the stems.
- Rinse the rice in a colander until the water runs
clear. Bring the 6 cups of water to a boil on the stove, and add the salt,
rice and 2 tablespoons of olive oil, cover and reduce to low heat until the
rice is cooked.
- To make the stuffing, in a frying pan, brown the beef, drain excess fat then add the lemon juice, rice, spices and remaining olive oil, set aside and allow to cool.
- Spread out the grape leaves on a large flat surface,
with the shiny side of the leave facing down.
- Spoon a small ball of the stuffing into the center of
the leaf then fold in the sides, then roll into finger sized rolls. The
resulting leaf should hold itself together with no stuffing coming out.
- Place the stems in the bottom of a saucepan, then put
the rolls on top the stems. Simmer on a low heat 5-10 min then serve.