1kg lamb pecies on the bone (fat removed)
1 large onion, finly chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 Tablesp olive oil
2 cups plain yogurt
1 Tablesp tomato puree
1 cinnamon stick
1 Teasp Cumin
1 Teasp Turmeric
1 Teasp Chili powder (optional)
1 cup almonds, freshly toasted
1/2 cup pine nuts (optional)
Parsley, finely chopped to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
6 servings long grain white rice
- In a large frying pan heat 1 tablesp oil then add lamb and cook for 5-10 min then cover with water, add a pinch of salt, place lid and simmer on a medium heat for about 10-15 min.
- In another pot boil the rice, once cooked drain and set aside.
- In a large pot add oil, once hot saute onion and garlic for about 2-3 min then pour in yogurt, add spices, tomato puree, beaten egg and stir.
- Slowly add stock from the cooked lamb to make a lightly cream sauce, continue stiring.
- Add the lamb to the yogurt sauce and cook coverd on a low heat for about 15-20 min.
- On a platter, mound the rice then arrange the lamb pieces on top and pour most of the sauce over it.
- Set aside the remaining sauce to be added, as desired.
- Garnish with almonds, pine nuts, parsley.
- Can be served with pita bread.