5 tablesp olive oil
4 lamb shanks
2 red onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tablesp moroccan spice mix
3 tablesp plain flour
425g can crushed tomatoes
1 cup reduced-salt beef stock
400g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
2 large carrot cut into 3cm cubes
- Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a large heavy based frying pan over high heat.
- Mix flour and spice then coat lamb shanks.
- Fry the shanks for 5 minutes or until browned, transfer to a dish.
- Reduce heat to medium add remaining oil to frying pan, add onion and garlic.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until soft, add tomatoes and beef stock then bring to the boil then add lamb and carrot.
- Add water if needed to cover lamb and place a lid.
- Cook for 1 and 1/2 hours, stir in chickpeas then cook for a further 20 minutes or until lamb is tender.
- Remove from heat and serve with mash potatoes or polenta.