500g Ground Beef or Lamb
1/2 Cups Rice (rinse the rice under warm water to wash off the starch)
1 Onion, finely chopped
1 Tblsp Tomato Paste
1 Egg, beaten
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 Tblsp Olive Oil
400g Can Diced Tomatoes
1 Tsp Dried Oregano Flakes
1/2 Cup Feta Chesse
- In a large bowl mix the mince, rice, onion, breadcrumbs, tomato paste, egg, parsley, 1 minced garlic clove and seasonings to combine well.
- Make the mince mixture into 5cm balls (wet your hand so the meat doesn’t stick to your hands).
- In a large frying pan heat oil and fry the balls to sear them (leave still raw on the inside).
- Add the diced tomatoes, 1 minced garlic clove, oregano and water, cover and cook for 20 mins to 30 mins or until the meatballs are fully cooked and the sauce has thickened.
- If the sauce looks too thick or rice needs more water add another 1/2 cup of water halfway through the cooking.
- Sprinkle with feta cheese just before serving.