Pita Za'atar Bread
Pizza with sumac, sesame, thyme, marjoram and oregano topping
K(nown in Arabic as Manakeesh, Manaeesh or Manaish)
3 Cups plain flour
1 Cup warm water
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp active dry yeast
1 cup olive oil
1/4 cup sumac
2 tablesp thyme
1 tablesp roasted sesame seeds
2 tablesp marjoram
2 tablesp oregano
1 teasp salt
- In a small bowl mix yeast and sugar with 1/4 cup warm water then let sit for 15 minutes.
- In a bowl mix the flour, salt and yeast mixture then knead the into dough, while your gradually adding the remaining warm water, knead for about 8 minutes.
- Roll dough into a ball and cover bowl with a towel then let stand for 1 hour.
- Knead for 2 minutes then divide dough into 8 balls.
- Roll each ball with a rolling pin until about 2cm thick, and 15cm in diameter rounded.
- Line baking tray with baking paper, lightly grease with olive oil then place pitas on tray then gently stab each pita 5-10 times with a fork.
- Mix the olive oil and the Za'atar mix in a bowl then spread 2 table spoonfuls on each pita.
- Preheated oven to 200c then bake for 15 minutes, best when served hot.