1 boiling chicken (size 16-17)
1 cinnamon stick
2 tablesp butter
500g lean beef mince
3 teasp allspice
2 teasp olive oil (to toast the nuts)
1 cup pine nuts, toasted in 1 teaspoon olive oil
2 cups water
2 cups rice, rinsed under running water
2 cups slivered almonds, toasted in 1 teasp olive oil
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
pinch ground cinnamon
- Place chicken into a large pot with the cinnamon stick and cover with water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove chicken from liquid and cut flesh into bite-sized pieces, discarding skin. Strain 2 cups of poaching liquid and reserve.
- Heat butter in a fry pan and add mince and allspice. Cook 6-8 minutes, stirring regularly, until well browned. Add half the pinenuts to the mince mixture.
- Add reserved poaching liquid, water and washed rice.
- Season lightly and simmer mixture for 20 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
- Arrange almonds and remaining pine nuts on the bottom of a round-ring mould, sprinkling with a little ground cinnamon. Pack the chicken pieces around the sides.
- Fill mould with rice mixture, pressing down firmly but carefully. Remove the mould and serve hot.