1 baby chicken
1 cinnamon stick
salt to taste
3 cardamom pods
2 tablespoons rice flour (to be gluten free)
2 whole cloves
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
4 black peppercorns
2 cups basmati rice
2 large yellow onions, finely chopped
1/4 cup golden raisin, soaked in water
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon dried lime powder, Loomi
1 teaspoon middle eastern mixed spice (optional)
1 teaspoon brown sugar
2 cups pureed canned tomatoes
2 tablespoons water
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/4 cup pine nuts
sliced blanched almond (optional)
- Rinse chicken inside and out.
- place in a stockpot with enough water to cover. Add cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, cloves, peppercorns, juice of 1/2 lemon and salt to taste.
- Bring to a boil skimming as required, continue to simmer partially covered until chicken is done (approximately 40 minutes).
- Remove and drain the chicken, reserving broth though a strainer.
- Prepare basmati rice according to it's package directions, using broth from chicken instead of water. Add turmeric for colour and salt to taste.
- While the rice is cooking, cook the onions in a skillet over medium heat, with 2 tablespoons olive oil, until soft.
- Sprinkle with a little water and stir quickly until onions are brown and the water has evaporated. Stir in drained raisins, pine nuts, sliced blanched almonds if using, ˝ teaspoons bahrat and loomi powder. Cook for one minute. Remove mixture from skillet and set aside.
- Lightly dust the boiled, drained chicken with flour. In a clean skillet over medium-high heat, brown the chicken in 1 Tbs. olive oil, turning, until the outside is crispy and brown.
- For the tomato sauce, add water, chopped tomatoes, crushed garlic, tomato paste, salt, sugar and the rest of bahrat in a small saucepan, sauté until tomatoes are soft and the sauce is well blended.
- When the rice is done, spread it on a serving platter. Sprinkle the onion mixture over the rice, and place the chicken on top. Pass the tomato garlic sauce to spoon onto individual plates.