1 whole chickens, skinned and cut into 8 pieces
1 1/2 cup cooking oil
1/2 Tsp fresh nutmeg
1/2 Tsp allspice
1/2 Tsp cumin powder
2 saffron threads
1 cinnamon sticks
2 whole cardamom seeds
3 cups water
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 head cauliflower, cut into small pieces
1/2 large eggplant, peeled, cubed, and salted; make sure to place in a colander so water can drain
1 onions, finly chopped
2 cups rice
Toasted pine nuts, for garnish
- In a large saucepan, brown both sides of the chicken pieces in 1/2 cup of hot oil, once browned, add onions, nutmeg, allspice, cumin powder, salt and pepper, saffron, cinnamon sticks and cardamom seeds cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add water, rice then bring to a boil and simmer on a low heat stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes until rice is cooked and the water is mostly evaporated.
- Heat 1 cup of oil too hot in a frying pan and fry the cauliflower and eggplant until lightly golden then set aside and let drain on paper towels.
- In another pot layer the fried cauliflower and eggplant then add on top the chicken and rice mixture and cook on a low heat for about 5-10 minutes for the flavours to merge.
- Flip the pot onto a serving plate while slowly removing the pot leaving the cauliflower eggplant on top, then garnish with pine nuts.