Moroccan Chicken Maryland Casserole Recipe
Maryland pieces in a spicy tomato, ginger, cumin and turmeric sauce
500g skinfree maryland chicken pieces
500ml chicken stock
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 can chickpeas
25g pine nuts
400g can chopped tomatoes
1 tsp grated ginger
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp paprika
2 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp chopped mixed fresh coriander and flat leaf parsley
Salt and peper to taste
Flat leaf parsley and coriander leaves, chopped for garnish
- Marinade then chicken - place the black pepper, cinnamon, ground cumin, ground coriander, turmeric, salt and paprika in a small bowl and mix to combine then tip half into a large bowl.
- Add the chicken pieces and toss until evenly coated then cover the bowl with cling wrap and put into fridge for a few hours to marinade.
- Heat a large casserole then add half the olive oil, fry the chicken and cook over a high heat until evenly browned then set aside in a plate.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the casserole and fry the onions until softened then add remaining spices and the garlic and ginger, stirring occasionally.
- Return the chicken to the casserole, add chicken stock and chopped tomatoes, bring to boil and cook for 20 minutes then add carrots and chickpeas.
- Cook for further 30 minutes until the chicken is completely tender but holding its shape and the sauce has thickened.
- Serve garnished with coriander, parsley and preserved lemon.