1.5 kg chicken, cut into 8 pieces
2 tomatoes, diced
2 small red chillies, sliced
1 lemon, juiced and zested
2 tblsp honey
100ml extra virgin olive oil
2 brown onions, thickly sliced
100 grams ginger, choped into thin strips
3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 bunch coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan on a high heat once oil is hot add chicken with cinnamon salt and pepper and cook on all sides till golden then remove the chicken from the saucepan and set aside.
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger and chilli to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes then add the tomatoes, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the saucepan then add the zest, lemon juice, honey and water to cover the chicken.
- Cover with a lid and simmer for 10 minutes on a medium heat then uncover and simmer for another 10-15 minutes until chicken is cooked well.
- Garnish with coriander and serve with pita bread or rice.