2 1/2 Tbsp of Oil
2 Cups of Yellow Lentils
1 Large Onion, Finley chopped
3 Cloves of Garlic, roughly chopped
1 Large Tomato, roughly chopped
1 Carrot, finely chopped
2 Tsp of Cumin
1 Tsp Chili Powder (optional)
3/4 Cup of Vermicelli Noodles
Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan heat 2 tbsp of oil then sauté the onions for 2-3 minutes then the garlic for 1 minute.
- Add 4 cups water, bring to a boil then add the lentils, tomato and carrot.
- Cover and simmer on a low heat for 15-20 minutes until the lentils are tender.
- Turn off heat, allow 10 minutes to cool then puree in a food processor until a smooth consistency.
- Heat 1/2 tblsp of oil in a frying pan then add the vermicelli, sauté until the vermicelli is browned.
- Return the pureed mixture to the saucepan then add the browned vermicelli, spices, more water for the desired soup consistency then stir, cover and simmer on a low heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Can be served with small pieces of broken up pita bread on top (like croutons).