Lebanese Artichoke Soup
Artichoke soup with carrot, tomato, chickpeas and parsley
1 Large Onion, chopped
2 Tblsps Olive Oil
3 Medium Carrots, chopped
1/4 Tsp Ground Red Pepper
1-Tsp Ground Coriander Seeds
2-4 Garlic Cloves, Minced
1 1/2 Cups chopped Potatoes
1 Tsp Salt (or to taste)
4-5 Cups Vegetable Stock
2 Large Tomatoes
10 Artichoke Hearts Cut Into Eighths
3/4 Cup Canned or Cooked Chickpeas
1/4 Cup chopped Fresh Parsley
2 Lemons Cut Into Wedges
- In a large soup pot sauté the onions in the olive oil for about 5 minutes than stir in the carrots and cover, Stir again after 3 minutes.
- Add the ground red pepper, coriander and garlic then cover and cook for a few more minutes, add the potatoes, salt and 2 cups of the stock.
- Cover the pot and bring the soup to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are nearly tender.
- Be careful not to overcook them. Gently stir in the tomatoes, artichoke hearts and cooked chickpeas and salt to taste.
- Cover and simmer for 3 or 4 minutes, just to heat the tomatoes.
- Add the remaining 2 – 3 cups of stock or even more if more soup is desired, heat gently.
- It is important not to overcook or boil this soup.
- The potatoes, tomatoes and artichokes should be heated just enough to blend the flavours or they might lose their shape and disintegrate.
- Sprinkle each serving with fresh parsley and garnish with a wedge of fresh lemon.