1/4 Cup Olive Oil
500g Chicken Thigh Fillets, trimmed
1/3 Cup Flour Seasoned (with salt and pepper to taste)
2 Onions, thinly sliced
1 Large Potato, peeled, cubed
2-3 Cloves Garlic, crushed
2 Tsp Moroccan Spice
1/4 Tsp Chilli Powder
1 Pinch Saffron
2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
4 Cups Chicken Stock
2–3 Cups Water
400g Can diced Tomatoes
1/4 Cup Green Lentils, rinsed
420g Kidney Beans, drained, rinsed
2 Eggs, Lightly Beaten
Spring Onions for garnish
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat butter and oil together.
- Coat the chicken in the seasoned flour, shaking off excess then cook for 3–4 minutes, until browned.
- Transfers to a plate and allow to cool then cut chicken into small chunks.
- In the same pan sauté onion, garlic and potato for 6-8 until lightly golden.
- Stir in spices and cook for 1 more minute, until fragrant.
- Mix in the tomato paste, add the stock, water, tomatoes and lentils.
- Bring to the boil reduce heat to low then simmer covered for 20–25 minutes until lentils are tender.
- Stir in the chicken and beans then season to taste.
- Gradually add in eggs, in a thin stream, stirring gently.
- Serve soup garnished with spring onion on top.