For the Syrup:
2 cups plus 3 tbsp white sugar
1½ cups water
2 tbsp orange juice (or lemon juice)
1 tsp honey
For the Cake:
2 cups semolina
1 cup white sugar
1 stick butter, softened
1 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp baking soda
2 medium eggs
Slivered almonds, blanched
- In a medium saucepan, mix the sugar and water. Add
the orange (lemon) juice and bring the mixture to a gentle boil. Add the honey and reduce the heat.
- Keep heating for 8-10 minutes until the mixture
thickens and has a syrup-like consistency. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 180 celsius. Lightly grease and flour
the baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter and sugar.
Add the eggs and vanilla extract and mix thoroughly.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine the dry
ingredients. Slowly add the dry ingredient mixture into the butter and egg mixture. Stir the milk and mix thoroughly until you get an even batter.
- Pour into a baking dish. Sprinkle the slivered
almonds on top of the mixture.
- Using a butter knife, section the batter into small
squares or diamonds. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and drizzle the syrup on top of
the cake. Let cool for 20 minutes and serve.