1 cup sugar
500g fresh walnut pieces
½ cup sugar
½ teaspoon rosewater
¼ cup cold water
2 cups icing sugar
- Pastry: Place the semolina and sugar in a large bowl
and mix together well. Melt the butter and bring to the boil, then gradually
blend into the semolina and sugar mixture. Knead well, and then set aside in
an airtight container for at least one hour or up to 24 hours. Knead the
mixture again, pouring in enough boiling water to make a soft pliable dough.
(It is a good idea to wear rubber gloves to protect your hands from the
- Filling: Crush the walnuts into very finr pieces and
mix in the sugar. Add the rosewater to the cold water and mix into the
walnut and sugar mixture.
- To assemble: Mould the pastry into small balls about
2 in (5cm) in diameter. Hollow out the centre of each ball with your index
finger by pressing around the inside of the ball to make a shell about ¼ in
- Fill the hollow shell with the filling mixture and
close the top of the shell by pressing the dough together. Flatten the shell
into a pie shape by pressing lightly between the palms of hands. Make a
design on top with the side and prongs of a fork.
- Place the cakes on a baking tray and cook at 200c for
approx 20 minutes until lightly browned.
- Topping: Sprinkle sifted icing sugar generously over
the top of the cakes.