1 large onion, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup water
1/2 tblsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
5 tblsp tomato paste
3 cloves garlic, crunched
3 medium zucchini, cut into chunks
4 small yellow squash, cut into chunks
3/4 large carrot, cut into chunks
3 medium potatoes, peeled, cut into chunks
1 red bell pepper, seeded, sliced
1 400g can garbanzo beans
Flat leaf parsley for garnish
- Heat oil in a large frying pan then sauté onion and garlic until softened.
- Add water, tomato paste, spices, carrot and potatoes then bring to a boil, cover and simmer on low heat for 1/2 hour.
- Add the zucchini, squash and bell pepper and simmer for another 15 minutes (until vegtables are tender).
- Add the drained garbanzo beans 5 minutes before you take vegetables off the heat.
- Garnish with parsley then serve with couscous, rice or pita bread.