1 whole chicken, cut into pieces, skin removed
1 large onion, finly chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
3 cups plain yogurt
1 Teasp cumin
1 Teasp turmeric
1 Teasp chili powder (optional)
1 cup almonds, freshly toasted
1/2 cup pine nuts, freshly toasted
Parsley, finely chopped to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
6 servings long grain white rice
- Place chicken in large pot of water with a pinch of salt, cook on a medium heat for about 35-45 min.
- In another pot boil the rice, once cooked drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan saute onion and garlic for 2-3 min then pour in yogurt, add spices and stir until smooth then on a medium heat add the beaten egg and stir.
- Add stock from the cooked chicken to make a lightly cream sauce.
- Add the chicken pieces to the yogurt sauce and cook coverd on a low heat for 10-15 min.
- On a platter, mound the rice then arrange the chicken pieces on top and pour most of the sauce over it.
- Set aside the remaining sauce to be added, as desired.
- Garnish with the almonds, pine nuts, parsley.
- Can be served with pita bread.