4 pigeons with giblets
2/3 cup butter
10 scallions, chopped
Salt to taste
Freshly milled black pepper
1/2 cup rice,
1 tablespoon mint, chopped
1 1/2 cups water
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- Chop giblets. Melt 1/3 cup butter in a medium frying pan.
- Cook over medium heat, chopped giblets, green onions, salt and pepper.
- Stir occasionally until giblets are browned. Stir in half cooked rice (boiled) and mint.
- Rub the cavity of each bird with salt and pepper. Stuff each bird with 2 tablespoons cornmeal mixture.
- Pull loose skin over cavity - secure with wooden or metal picks.
- Place birds in stovetop casserole. Set remaining stuffing aside.
- Preheat oven to 200c. Melt remaining 1/3 cup butter - brush over stuffed birds.
- Add water to dish - bring to a boil on stove. Cover and place in oven.
- Bake 50 minutes or until tender - basting birds every 10 minutes with pan drippings.
- In a medium saucepan, bring stock or broth to a boil - add remaining cornmeal stuffing.
- Bring to a second boil. Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Serve with baked birds.