Iraqi Carrot and Ground Meat Rice
Spicy rice with carrots, onions and ground meat
Known in Iraq as Timman Jazar
2 Cups Basmati Rice
2 Cups Coarsely chopped Carrots
2 Cups Coarsely chopped Onions
500g Ground Beef or Lamb
1 Tsp Turmeric
3/4 Tsp Cinnamon
1 Tsp Allspice
3/4 Tsp Pepper
2 Tsp Salt
- In a pot over medium-high saute the carrots and onion in a tablespoon or two of oil, until onions just wilting.
- Add the spices and seasonings, then the minced meat.
- Saute until meat just browned.
- Stir in the rinsed and drained rice until coated in the mixture.
- Add boiled water until just covered, cover, and reduce heat to low.
- Leave 20 to 25 minutes until all the water is absorbed and the grains are fluffed.
- Fluff with a fork then serve.