8-10 medium size fresh tomatoes
2 cups burgul (cracked wheat)
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
400g diced tomatoes
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cumin
salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a sauce pot. Add onions and fry for a
few minutes until lightly browned.
- Add tomatoes, parsley, cinnamon, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir
- Add burgul, bring to a boil then lower the heat
to simmer while covered for about half an hour. Stir only once. Note: add a little more water if the
mixture gets too dry.
- Remove from fire and leave covered to stand for 10
- Carefully hollow out each tomato with a spoon then
stuff the tomatoes with the burgul mix.
- Heat oven to 180c then place the tomatoes on a try
and bake for around 10-15 minutes until tomatoes are tender but still firm.
- Serve hot, can be served with
Labaneh or plain